Wednesday, October 17, 2012


Are GPS systems like the Garmin and I-phone ruining our ability to navigate?

 An article published in the nytimes would suggest so. Like many people, I have become reliant on my I-phone maps, its simple directions and tracking help me get everywhere. For someone with an already faulty sense of direction, it really helps.

 For Julia Frankenstein, the over-reliance on simple tracking systems such as the Garmin poses a big problem to our innate ability to navigate our surroundings. She argues that unlike real-life navigation that involves determining landmarks and larger spatial contexts, simple navigation systems cease to allow us to strengthen cognitive maps that help us with innate navigation. She states that real-life navigation provides a better spatial experience that can change brain structure for the better. One example of this that is cited is the increase in grey matter in the hippocampus seen in a study of London taxi cab drivers who must learn every street in London before receiving their taxi license. 

Does this mean we should all stop using our I-phones?

Rat studies have given us a vast knowledge of the spatial navigation process that is involved in maze-learning. We know that animals can form cognitive mental maps with connections to specialized cells in different areas of the brain such as the entorhinal cortex, pre and para subiculium, retrosplenial cortex, parietal and frontal cortex. We can presume that an increase in the performance of real life navigation would cause certain synapses to become stronger-allowing us to become better navigators -hebbian learning- the author’s main reason why we should stop using navigation systems.

However, I still remain uncertain as to whether the use of virtual navigation would hinder our ability to be good navigators.

First of all, many of the studies testing human navigational abilities are done using virtual navigation strategies (we cannot follow an individual on their daily commute to work while using fMRI) making it hard to distinguish a difference between the brain activity happening in  real-life navigation scenarios vs. the use of a GPS.
A recent fMRI study using virtual navigation also found that not all humans navigate in the same way. 46% of subjects use spatial memory (landmarks) the other 52% used non-spatial memory (distance). In the study, the researchers saw different brain regions activated depending upon how each participant chose to navigate the virtual maze (Spatial-Hippocampus region. Distance-Caudate Nucleus).  While many navigation systems tend to omit landmarks that might be important for certain people, distances are almost always included.  It may be a possibility that whether or not you should use a virtual navigational system depends more upon how you naturally tend to navigate. Until there is more concrete evidence, I know I am going to continue using my I-phone maps. 

Giuseppe, I. Petrides, M. Dagher, A. Pike, B. Iaria, & Bohbot, V. Cognitive Strategies Dependent on the Hippocampus and Caudate Nucleus in Human Navigation: Variability and Change with Practice. The Journal of Neuroscience, 23(13):5945–5952.
Derdikman, D. Moser, E. A manifold of spatial maps in the brain. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 14(12): 561-569. 

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me a lot of the question of whether the use of cell phones decreases our memory's abilities, in particular our ability to remember phone numbers. For that case, I tend to agree that cell phones make us very lazy in regards to remembering phone numbers. Before I had a cell phone I remembered everyone's phone number but now the only phone number I remember is my mom's. However, I am not sure I would agree that using GPS decreases our ability to navigate. When I first started driving, I was terrible at figuring out what direction I was going in, and which streets cross where. For me, using the GPS helped me orient myself, and I learned where the different streets are faster than if I had not been using it. Maybe this does depend on how we navigate, spatial vs. distance. I tend to be more of a spatial navigator, so maybe the GPS helps me in the distance area, so I can orient myself better. I agree with you that until there is more evidence suggesting that GPS is bad for navigation I will also be using my AT&T Maps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on my experiences, iPhone maps and other navigation systems don't help me remember where everything is on a map. Yet, since beginning to use Google maps and since I started driving, I have become much better at following directions. Verbal directions are not always easy to follow for some people. They require people to create a "virtual map" in their head in order to get to their destination. At the very least, they must remember the directions well enough to visualize and follow landmarks along their journey. Yet, written directions aren't always easy to follow either. Sometimes, the directions are vague, not descriptive enough, or based on subtle landmarks. This makes directions hard to follow. So, while navigation systems don't necessarily help us remember landmarks any more than normal, I'm sure that we can see increased brain activity in areas of the brain associated with spatial function and following directions - most likely dorsal processing streams.

    ReplyDelete