Monday, November 12, 2012

Gary Marcus presentation: Language and Music

Call me close-minded or naive, but until hearing Gary Marcus speak about language and music, it never occurred to me that language and music are evolutionarily significant. Once this was brought to my attention, I was surprised that I had not previously considered this. The longer that I am in school, the longer my list of evolutionarily significant characteristics and specializations of the human race becomes. It is silly of me to think that language or music, or any type of art for that matter, would be an exception. Language and music have now been added to that list.

Language and music evolved to serve the functional purpose of attracting mates and establishing social cohesion. Because these abilities attracted mates, individuals with these abilities are more likely to pass their genes along to the next generation than individuals lacking these abilities. For this reason, language and music are present in today’s human population.

While language and music are present in today’s population, these capacities can be considered “kluges.” Language specifically suffers from what Marcus called “evolutionary inertia,” the idea that an evolutionary system, once moving in a particular direction, tends to continue to evolve in that direction. Minor changes can be made along the way. However, in order for a dramatic change to occur, many different aspects of the evolutionary system would need to change simultaneously. While this is possible, like the “evolution of a flying pig” is possible, it is highly unlikely.  For this reason, language is a kluge. Minor changes have been made along the way, but these changes are made with no forethought. Evolution does not think ahead. We have language because of evolution, but because of evolution, language is not a perfect system.

This talk by Gary Marcus taught me to look at the world through the eyes of evolution. I am what he would call, a “victim of the present.” I don’t consider why things are the way that they are as a result of evolution. To me, it is the way that it is. In order to think this way, I have to consciously prompt myself to do so. I am grateful that Marcus reminded me of my tendency to be a victim of the present. I think it is important to view the world through different lenses, including the lens of evolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment